Housing People First is ending homelessness and transforming lives by providing people who’ve struggled for years on the streets and in shelters with safe, dignified housing and connecting them with the supports they need to rebuild their lives.
People experiencing homelessness have myriad vulnerabilities. They suffer from complex health and mental health disabilities that are essentially impossible to address amidst the chaos of homelessness. They are also often victims of crime, their safety constantly at risk.
Housing People First ends this tragedy by placing our community’s vulnerable people in housing first.
• Moves people quickly from the streets/shelters into their own apartments – immediately ending their homelessness and improving their quality of life.
• By removing the chaos of living on the streets and in shelters, people finally can, and do, engage in services and go on to live peaceful, hopeful lives.
• Demonstrates that once people are housed, they connect with health care providers and case managers, engage in support groups, establish routines, build relationships with family, friends, and community, and move on to more independent living – decreasing their need for services over time.
Housing People First Works
Friends supports four tremendously successful Housing First Programs in Boston: HUES (high users of emergency services) to Home, SSVF (Homeless Veterans and their families), Linking Treatment to Housing (people struggling with mental health and addictions) and Home to Stay (long-term shelter stayers).
• Since 2009, Friends has helped over 2,000 people move into in safe, dignified permanent housing (27% slept in places not meant for human habitation prior to being housed).
• Saves our community over $11,000/person annually in health care and public safety alone once someone is housed rather than living on the streets or in shelters
• Today over 90% remain in their homes and have not returned to the streets or shelters – providing a dignified and cost-effective solution to homelessness.
The most significant barrier to immediately housing people is Housing Start-up Costs
Because all are homeless, their savings are non-existent and none have furniture or other household items we all need to make our house a home.
Friends Housing Start-up Fund overcomes these final barriers to housing
• Security Deposits
• First/Last Month’s Rent & Initial Rental Gaps
• Furniture & Household Items that must be new like beds and linens
• Moving Costs
• Utility Arrearages
Read about our housing successes here: https://fobh.org/housing-first-success-stories/.
Their stories, and the hundreds more like them, are the best testament to the power of Housing People First. How our surroundings shape our thoughts, emotions, and actions. And, how a place of one’s own that is peaceful, safe, and dignified can transform lives.
You too can be part of the solution by making a donation to our Housing Start-up Fund. Thank you!